October 25, 2010

The old fisherman

Our house was directly across the street from the clinic entrance of Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. We lived downstairs and rented the upstairs rooms to out-patients at the clinic.
One summer evening as I was fixing supper, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to see a truly awful looking man. "Why, he's hardly taller than my eight-year-old," I thought as I stared at the stooped, shriveled body. But the appalling thing was his face ... lopsided from swelling, red and raw. Yet his voice was pleasant as he said, "Good evening. I've come to see if you've a room for just one night. I came for a treatment this morning from the eastern shore, and there's no bus 'til morning."
He told me he'd been hunting for a room since noon but with no success. No one seemed to have a room. "I guess it's my face ... I know it looks terrible, but my doctor says with a few more treatments..."
For a moment I hesitated, but his next words convinced me. "I could sleep in this rocking chair on the porch. My bus leaves early in the morning."
I told him we would find him a bed, but to rest on the porch. I went inside and finished getting supper. When we were ready, I asked the old man if he would join us. "No thank you. I have plenty." And he held up a brown paper bag.
When I had finished the dishes, I went out on the porch to talk with him for a few minutes. It didn't take long time to see that this old man had an oversized heart crowded into that tiny body. He told me he fished for a living to support his daughter, her five children, and her husband, who was hopelessly crippled from a back injury.
He didn't tell it by way of complaint. In fact, every other sentence was preface with a thanks to God for a blessing. He was grateful that no pain accompanied his disease, which was apparently a form of skin cancer. He thanked God for giving him the strength to keep going.
At bedtime, we put a camp cot in the children's room for him. When I got up in the morning, the bed linens were neatly folded and the little man was out on the porch. He refused breakfast. But just before he left for his bus, haltingly, as if asking a great favor, he said, "Could I please come back and stay the next time I have a treatment? I won't put you out a bit. I can sleep fine in a chair."
He paused a moment and then added, "Your children made me feel at home. Grownups are bothered by my face, but children don't seem to mind."
I told him he was welcome to come again.
On his next trip he arrived a little after seven in the morning. As a gift, he brought a big fish and a quart of the largest oysters I had ever seen. He said he had shucked them that morning before he left so that they'd be nice and fresh. I knew his bus left at 4:00 a.m. and I wondered what time he had to get up in order to do this for us.
During the years he came to stay overnight with us, there was never a time that he did not bring us fish or oysters or vegetables from his garden. Other times we received packages in the mail, always by special delivery ... fish and oysters packed in a box with fresh young spinach or kale ... every leaf carefully washed. Knowing that he must walk three miles to mail these, and knowing how little money he had made the gifts doubly precious.
When I received these little remembrances, I often thought of a comment our next-door neighbor made after he left that first morning. "Did you keep that awful looking man last night? I turned him away! You can lose roomers by putting up such people!"
Maybe we did lose roomers once or twice. But oh! If only they could have known him, perhaps their illness' would have been easier to bear. I know our family will always be grateful to have known him. From him, we learned what it was to accept the bad without complaint and the good with gratitude to God.
Recently I was visiting a friend who has a greenhouse. As she showed me her flowers, we came to the most beautiful one of all ... a golden chrysanthemum, bursting with blooms. But to my great surprise, it was growing in an old dented, rusty bucket.
I thought to myself, "If this were my plant, I'd put it in the loveliest container I had!" My friend changed my mind.
"I ran short of pots," she explained," and knowing how beautiful this one would be, I thought it wouldn't mind starting out in this old pail. It's just for a little while, until I can put it out in the garden."
She must have wondered why I laughed so delightedly, but I was imagining such a scene in heaven. "Here's an especially beautiful one," God might have said when he came to the soul of the sweet old fisherman. "He won't mind starting in this small body."
All this happened long ago ... and now, in God's garden, how tall this lovely soul must stand.


Mary Bartels Bray

69 comment:

Anonymous October 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Very nice story :)

God Bless :)

Anonymous October 30, 2010 at 5:34 AM  

wonderfull story thanx

yumi toktok November 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM  

Such a wonderful story. Touches my heart. Thank you.

Buy FF14 Golds November 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

great story. it really touches my heart. I even had teary eyes while reading it. ^,^

Anonymous November 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

IT REMINDS ME of a text from the BIble, 'be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Heb 13:2. Thank you for sharing your story....

Anonymous December 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

This was such a beautiful story...I teared up for a bit while reading it. He seemed like such a kind and amazing man which I would have loved to have the pleasure to have known...It is people like him that inspire me. No matter what they are going through they always seem to just sine inside and out

Anonymous December 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM  

Truly inspiring...
I hope every time I think of complaining, this story comes into my mind....

Thank you for posting this.

God Bless....

monir hossain December 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

Very touchy story.monirs

monir hossain December 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

Such type of story inspire and support me.----- monirs BD

Anonymous December 27, 2010 at 2:19 AM  

it was a wonderful story ...
and will always be remembered..
i learned a lot...=')

Jennifer January 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Thank you so much for your sharing. I'm really touched with that man's kindness which remind me not to forget to pay attention to other people. God bless you. :)

bernard January 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

wonderfully touching in more ways than one

Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

Tnxs..i love it!g0dbless..รถ

Reader January 28, 2011 at 2:21 AM  

wonderful story with an excellent message.God Bless.thanks for sharing

Celeste inspiration January 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM  

touching the soul .......

Quote For your Day February 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

very nice story,..

so many quote i get from this story :)

Caroline @ hello kitty games online February 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM  

Very inspiring story.. thanks for sharing.

Joseph February 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

This is nice and good story...... Reminds me of God

Anonymous February 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

thankz a lot 4 sharing this

Mawardi February 18, 2011 at 4:25 AM  

nice post

Sol March 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM  

Great story!

Sol March 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

Awww..

I have some stories to share as well. I just want to share it with you guys.

http://mywaystomakeachange.blogspot.com/s

Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 2:28 AM  

really inspiring

Oland April 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

Very nice story,

You can visit http://inspirationalstories2read.blogspot.com/ for your Inspirational Stories everyday. Feel free to share them.

God Bless!

Anonymous April 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

nice story..very touching and inspiring.. :)

Unknown April 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM  

Really, a touching one. One that makes you think once, twice, thrice,,......aaahhh, numbers betray me...

colesantosjr April 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

Most of the time, we neglected to see into one's soul. We are usually deceived by flashy cars, clothes, pocketful of money and striking features. Forgetting the fact that just like any other creatures, time will come that it will fade and starts to crumble.

This story reminds me that a beautiful soul is incomparable against those what our eyes could see. Thank you for sharing this story.

Renante G. Santos Jr of Philippines

janice_ April 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM  

Such an inspiring story. *sniffs*
There are really people with such a big heart!

Anonymous April 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

awesome story it really gives inspiration to others

PRERNA May 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM  

A very inspiring story.We should not complaint for bad thing happens to us

Anonymous May 16, 2011 at 12:18 AM  

how great is our God

Anonymous May 18, 2011 at 5:24 AM  

thanks for such a wonderful story,it reminds me of always thanking God for every blessings despite any condition we are in.God is great.He loves the humble and generous hearted person.

Anonymous May 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

thanks for sharing!

Dreamland Beach May 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM  

waw,,inspiring me...

kritika May 30, 2011 at 2:07 AM  

very touching!!! GOD may not be visible to our eyes but he sure does leave us a trail that can lead us to him...

Anonymous June 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM  

this is such a simple story but with great lesson for each of us. this is what we are.....we look at worthless things....we keep pride in worthless things but the real beautiful things are always unseen.......but the moment we see them we will never forget the essence of inner beauty............

Dondie Villanueva July 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

Looks or outer appearance can always be deceiving...what's inside should matter most...a kind heart and a big heart...rare to find!

Anonymous July 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

Am moved with a lump in my throat...

kritika August 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

tq all 4 your comments!!! i hope the story will inspire more...

Anonymous August 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM  

It is a very touching story. I am just teary-eyed. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous August 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

It was a good story but there is a mistake in the final part. It should be her wife, not her husband.

Ash Mandlik September 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

We had this story as a chapter in our english textbook of ssc board.. Its really a touching story!

Ash Mandlik September 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

We had this story as a chapter in our text.. Really touching one!

Anonymous September 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

"You can never judge a book by its cover." That's what comes to my mind as I read this story. Thanks for posting this one. Really, "God looks not on the outside but in the heart." I Samuel 16:7

Anonymous September 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

This is really touching. Thank you for being as kind as the fisherman. Both of you are god sends. Thank you. I am touched and inspired.

Anonymous September 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

truly, the beauty that the naked eyes adore is just a pale comparison of what a true beauty is!

EJ Remoreras September 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

Thank you for posting such a wonderful story... very motivational, inspirational at the same time very full of lessons to learn from it...

Funny College Stories November 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

This story seems to be excellent. Its really good post. I really appreciate this post.

Home Repair November 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM  

Wow, how wonderful to have met this person and recognized him as a great soul. Maybe I would have turned him away like the neighbors did. But, after having reading this story I feel I could never do that to anyone. Thank you and god bless.

dhorie x November 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM  

Such an inspiring story! Thank you for sharing:) x

dhorie x November 26, 2011 at 4:37 AM  

Inspiring story! Thanks for sharing:) x

Chris December 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

Two Thumbs Up! =)

Chris December 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

Two Thumbs Up! =)

Rhea December 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM  

this is a lovely story.....im studying in 10th standard...and this story is a part of my 10th standard curriculum..... :)

Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM  

Very nice story... two thumbs up.. so inspirational... hope everyone who have read this will be inspired to do the same..

God bless...

Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM  

i like the lesson of the story very much, t teaches me how to love and give important attention to others..

Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM  

That was a very touching story! Thank you for sharing :)Jem

CRUNK GAPA(SON FAMOUS) MIZUKA KURUKA January 30, 2012 at 5:13 AM  

touching indid.so touching.

Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM  

Thank you very much for posting such a nice story.

Yes most of the time we only see outer beauty and miss the most important inner beauty.

Thank you once again.

Shrakin February 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM  

Appearances are just the packing's....such a beautiful soul inside it is what matters..Thanks for whwt you did and shared.

Anonymous March 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM  

Thanks God there are such beautiful people in this world
i am honoured to have even read this story Amen

DailyTenMinutes March 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM  

Thanks for the inspiring work. Keep it up. You may wish to visit my blog which covers articles on wisdom.

Junaid
paradigmwisdom.blogspot.com

Junaid March 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM  

Thanks for the great work..

tahir

Unknown April 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM  

Truly a touching story.. GOD bless

Mike April 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM  

Am a person who complains about everything...
Thanks for the story .. I ll now on be thankful for everything ...

Cosplay Costumes April 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM  

Its really an excellent post. I really enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown May 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

Wow! Inspiring story

Anonymous September 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM  

Truly inspiring! God will never forsake any of his creations and will definitely reward charitable acts.

best kind of life November 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM  

very inspiring story . all comment on this post saying it . people really enjoying your blog keep it up , keep inspiring people .